I think I had just turned 10 when my Mom took me to Fashion Street for the first time in what was to later become a once-in-a-yearly ritual. At the time, I always used to be accompanied by either my Mom or my sister, both 'seasoned' field-agents of Command Shopping, and they were the ones who actually did the shopping for me... They used to pick out stuff of my size and I just had to nod my head in approval of one or more of those, and until then, that was all that 'shopping' had ever been for me. Then this one day, my Mom decided to take me to FS, the journey to which takes all of 2 hours, a journey that makes you feel each and every second ticking away like a kick in the shins. So i was reasonably irritable and grumpy (for a 10 year old) when we entered the first in what seemed to be a never-ending chain of kiosks. The shopkeeper smiled a sly smile when we entered, seeing a puny kid with a rather frail-looking lady, probably imagining how much cash he could dupe us out of, but I had no way of knowing that then, so I just thought he was a nice and happy man. I picked out a bright yellow t-shirt that I'd instantly liked and handed it to Mom. My Mom asked the nice shopkeeper how much it cost and he replied magnanimously, "Outside, this piece sells for 450 bucks, but for you, especially, I'd be willing to part with it for 300 bucks". "What a nice man," I thought, "despite his looks". (He was nothing to look at, really). As always, I expected Mom to take out her purse and pay the nice gentleman. But she did no such thing. Not only did she do no such thing, she said, quite simply, "We'll take it for 100 bucks"; I truly thought she'd lost it! Without batting an eyelid, the shopkeeper replied, "Madamji, I'll gladly give it to you for 200 bucks". I balked. Mom actually smiled a smile I'd never seen her smile before when she heard this. I didn't get it: what was so funny? And the weirdness wasn't even over... The man pleaded, "Let me make some profit at least, Madam!! Give me at least 150 for it." "Oh! the poor man!!", I thought. And then, to my utter astonishment and alarm, my Mom said "I'll give you 110 Rs. for this. Dena ho to do ya phir rehne do" and grabbed my hand and walked right out of the shop! I tried to protest but she shushed me so hard I started crying! "This cant really be happening! Mom is sooo mean and she hates me!!" That would've made a pretty sight - my Mom dragging me away and me wailing away to all glory! When we were almost out of earshot and I was deciding for how many years I'd stay mad at her for this, we heard the shopkeeper call out to us. Mom dragged me right back to the shop, handed the man 110 bucks, and smiling at him, actually said "thank you"! The man smiled back, as if in acknowledgement of a worthy opponent, and handed me my prize... And the small white plastic bag in my one hand, Mom led me out of the shop by the other, and smiling down at me, pressed my hand in hers.
Now beginning to understand just what had transpired over there right then, and feeling that she should at least have warned me about the heavy-duty dramatics that were to come, I did not respond to her. Even though I did not have too much reason to stay mad at her any longer, and frankly, I was in awe of her (she was clearly a pro at this!), I couldn't give in that easily! Yeah, I had my pride, wounded as it was. We then stopped outside a place she knew had my favourite strawberry thick-shakes. Looking down at me, she smiled amusedly. It was to be my decision. Dignity, I decided, could wait. Time for strawberry shakes!!!!
Now beginning to understand just what had transpired over there right then, and feeling that she should at least have warned me about the heavy-duty dramatics that were to come, I did not respond to her. Even though I did not have too much reason to stay mad at her any longer, and frankly, I was in awe of her (she was clearly a pro at this!), I couldn't give in that easily! Yeah, I had my pride, wounded as it was. We then stopped outside a place she knew had my favourite strawberry thick-shakes. Looking down at me, she smiled amusedly. It was to be my decision. Dignity, I decided, could wait. Time for strawberry shakes!!!!

2 comments:
Incredible work dude!
Genuinely..fr a change even a 'gavaar' like me cud relate to everything u mentioned in there!:)
especially da strawberry shake!slurrpp!!lol..hehe!
Cheers to u, sagaru…err sugaboy!:P
truly graphic description of the chain of events..:) any 10yr old would have thought similarly..plz dont remind me of strwberry thick shake..you got to treat me with it next time then:)..
Awesome!
Post a Comment